There are so many great conversations on the Hotline -- it's hard to choose a favorite. But we'll be doing it, once a week, to spread the wealth of our community's knowledge -- and to keep the conversation going.
This time of year, the herbs in your garden or window box are probably going crazy -- not necessarily a bad thing, but you don’t want that bumper crop to go to bad before you get to it either. Adianne whipped up a big batch of pesto with her basil, and now is wondering what to do with her plethora of pesto. Some of the best ideas we’ve seen?
- Using pesto as a sandwich spread or combining it with ground turkey for extra flavorful meatloaf or meatballs, from HalfPint.
- Petitbleu suggests tossing cooked grains with pesto, or smearing it on the bottom of a pie crust for a savory pie.
- Spreading pesto on fish fillets, sprinkling them with parmesan, and then baking them in the oven, from Couldn’t Be Parve.
- Barb48 recommends using pesto in an omelet or spreading some under the skin of chicken before baking or roasting.
- Stirring it into soup or using it as a bruschetta topping, from ChefJune.
What are your favorite ways to use pesto? Add your two cents to the question on the Hotline here or continue the conversation in the comments below! (You can also weigh in over here with your favorite ways to use basil beyond pesto.)