🔕 🔔

I would use a flame tamer. And bring it up to heat on a low flame slowly. You can also soak the base in the sink for an hour ahead. Earthenware can be tempermental but when you get the hang of it you will love it.

fhp

Thank You, Pierino. You Rock.

You are welcome. You probably won't have to soak the base every time you use it but it's not a bad thing to do the first time. The reason is that when earthenware pieces are made they are fired at very high temperatures which makes them subject to cracking if you put them directly on a high flame. Although I've accumulated quite a few pieces over 25 years or so I've never had one break. Good luck.