If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
There are so many great conversations on the Hotline -- it's hard to choose a favorite. But we'll be doing it, once a week, to spread the wealth of our community's knowledge -- and to keep the conversation going.
Today: The best desserts to pack for a picture-perfect picnic.
When it comes to picnic fare, we know potato salads are incredibly portable, and pasta salads are endlessly adaptable. Our baskets packed, we've conquered everything we need for the summer picnic -- except the finale. When we put on a picnic, sometimes we want to finish it off with a dessert that's just impressive as one we'd pull out at the classiest dinner party.
With this in mind, Karen turned to the Hotline looking for a dessert to bring along to a concert picnic -- one with that transports easily, feeds a crowd, and stands out on the picnic blanket. From galettes to cobblers, these summer desserts are picnic (and picture) perfect.
- We don't want to have to worry about bringing along extra utensils and dishes for dessert. Editorial Intern Talia Ralph skips flatware entirely, opting for hand pies for easy, hands-on eating.
- Liza's Kitchen NYC recommends using summer fruit in dessert bars, like these raspberry oat crumble bars. With a gooey berry filling between two layers of buttery crumble, these bars taste as good as they look.
- Let vibrant summer fruit be the center of attention -- instead of a covered pie, bake berries or stone fruit into an open galette. Associate Editor Marian Bull's galette formula can be scaled down to make individual galettes, as amysarah notes. Just be sure to adjust the baking time!
- Other bar desserts -- like bar cookies, brownies, and nut squares -- are equally as delicious and are less likely to be damaged in transit. Drbabs swears by Alice Medrich's Cocoa Brownies, while Susan W opts for Silver Palate's recipe for pecan squares.
- For something a little simpler, ATG117 assures you can never go wrong with a good cookie. Dress them up by using the cookies to make the perfect ice cream sandwich. Transport the ice cream in a cooler with an ice pack, then assemble when ready to eat.
How do you finish off a picnic? Join in the coversation on the Hotline or tell us in the comments!