We’ve all been there: We popped vegetables in the oven to roast, but then they took too long and then... dinner couldn't wait. They’re still worth saving, of course -- but sometimes figuring out how to use them can be a little overwhelming.
Erinrae was left with some extra sweet potatoes the other night and took to the Hotline to ask for your best ideas for repurposing them. As always, you came through with a bunch of brilliant ideas, inspiring all of us to step up our bestover game:
- LE BEC FIN suggests a riff on baked eggs, instructing: “In ramekins or muffins tins, put a layer of mashed sweet potatoes, top with cooked bacon, then grated sharp cheddar, and, finally, an egg. Bake as you would baked eggs."
- Drbabs votes for making sweet potato bread or muffins.
- Carlito suggests adding the mashed potato into a bowl of oatmeal.
- Lindsay-Jean Hard offers a recipe for using them in scones.
For lunch or dinner
- Nancy suggests using the leftover sweet potatoes on a salad. Anne7hall agrees and thinks that a soft-boiled egg would be a great addition.
- Mblossom uses them in quesadillas: “I mash the baked sweet potato with some cumin, coriander, and salt, then spread it on the tortilla, add black beans, plenty of Monterey Jack cheese, some cilantro, and maybe some jalapeños.”
- Fritters and croquettes are popular solutions -- Pegeen, dinner at ten, and ADM are all fans.
- Peter says these mashed sweet potatoes are one of his favorite Food52 recipes of all time.
What's your favorite use for leftover sweet potatoes? Tell us in the comments or join the conversation over on the Hotline!
First photo by James Ransom, second photo by Mark Weinberg, final photo by Linda Xiao