In this installment of Best of the Hotline, we're reminded that the rules of fashion don't apply to food.
We've all heard the old rule: no wearing white between Labor Day and Memorial Day. The shade might be notably absent from our cold-weather wardrobes, but it doesn't need to disappear from our dining room tables.
Over the Hotline, Claudia | Gourmet Project asked for "totally white dishes" for white-themed party, and plenty of suggestions rolled in that work just as well for a post-Labor Day celebration as they do for a summer soirée. From soups to vegetables and desserts to sauces, here are some of the palest dishes to add to your plate:
- Both amysarah and sexyLAMBCHOPx love the idea of a white gazpacho.
- Debra Avery and Angela suggest a classic alfredo dish.
- Meaghan F gives us her sautéed squid recipe.
- Several suggest the use of goat cheese, like Harvey Rock, who puts it in a stuffed chicken breast with pears.
- Nicknud praises these salt-crusted potatoes.
- Kay and Gmarkb both suggest risotto with a white vegetable like cauliflower or white asparagus.
- For dessert, Daniella loves good old-fashioned marshmallows.
- Some, like Harvey, stick to a simple vanilla sundae.
- Nancy thinks a pavlova would be the perfect sweet treat.
What are your favorite white dishes? Tell us in the comments below!
Photos by Mark Weinberg, James Ransom, and Ashley McLaughlin