If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
In this installment of Best of the Hotline, we're reminded that the rules of fashion don't apply to food.
We've all heard the old rule: no wearing white between Labor Day and Memorial Day. The shade might be notably absent from our cold-weather wardrobes, but it doesn't need to disappear from our dining room tables.
Over the Hotline, Claudia | Gourmet Project asked for "totally white dishes" for white-themed party, and plenty of suggestions rolled in that work just as well for a post-Labor Day celebration as they do for a summer soirée. From soups to vegetables and desserts to sauces, here are some of the palest dishes to add to your plate:
- Both amysarah and sexyLAMBCHOPx love the idea of a white gazpacho.
- Debra Avery and Angela suggest a classic alfredo dish.
- Meaghan F gives us her sautéed squid recipe.
- Several suggest the use of goat cheese, like Harvey Rock, who puts it in a stuffed chicken breast with pears.
- Nicknud praises these salt-crusted potatoes.
- Kay and Gmarkb both suggest risotto with a white vegetable like cauliflower or white asparagus.
- For dessert, Daniella loves good old-fashioned marshmallows.
- Some, like Harvey, stick to a simple vanilla sundae.
- Nancy thinks a pavlova would be the perfect sweet treat.
What are your favorite white dishes? Tell us in the comments below!
Photos by Mark Weinberg, James Ransom, and Ashley McLaughlin