To me, nothing says summer quite like the heady smell of smoke, emanating from a grill at a backyard BBQ. Enveloped by that smell, I'm likely to have friends nearby, an ice-cold beer in hand, and a freshly charred meal on the way. This very smell, recurring each weekend from May through August, makes me hope that summer will never end.
But alas, when Labor Day inevitably rolls around, the twilight starts retracting earlier into the evening, and the weekly gatherings begin to slow, the bliss of summer also feels like it's slipping out of reach. And that may well be the case. But there's always time for a final outdoor get-together with friends, fire, and lots of food.
For this year's BBQ swan song, I'll turn to the newest cookbook by grill master, Texan, and cookbook author extraordinaire, Paula Disbrowe: Thank You for Smoking: Fun and Fearless Recipes Cooked with a Whiff of Wood Fire on Your Grill or Smoker.
In the book, Paula shows us how to add a hint of smoky flavor to all manner of foods, using your grill and a few clever tricks (read: no special equipment needed). You'll find recipes for meats, fish, and vegetables, of course, but also for smoked seasonings and spices; for smoked beans, pulses, and grains; and even for smoked cocktails.
Here are two of Paula's new recipes to add to your Labor Day menu, plus 26 more grilled meats, veggies, sides, and even desserts to round out your BBQ and celebrate the end of the season to the fullest.
1. Grilled herbed chicken breast with radicchio
2. Smoky shrimp with lemony orzo, green olives & feta
3. Grilled Chicken Thighs With Lemongrass Glaze
4. Grilled Ribs With Salt & Pepper
5. Grilled Steak Salad With Fish Sauce Vinaigrette
6. CPK-Style BBQ Chicken Pizza
7. Grilled Salmon Tacos With Avocado Sauce
8. Beef & Kimchi Burgers
9. Chicken and Steak Skewers with a Tahini-Yogurt Marinade
10. Simple Grilled Seitan
11. Essential Tofu Burgers
12. Black Bean & Corn Burgers
13. Early Summer Panzanella
14. Grilled Peach and Apricot Salad
15. A Salad of Grilled Vegetables over Crisp Lettuce with Halloumi Croutons
16. Grilled Vegetable Pasta Sauce
17. Grilled Bread Salad With Broccoli Rabe & Summer Squash
18. Grilled Baby Bok Choy With Miso Butter
19. Grilled Young Carrots with Pickled Mustard Seed Dressing and Arugula
20. Bonus: Easiest-Ever Pasta Salad
21. Ottolenghi's Burrata With Grilled Grapes & Basil
22. Grilled Bread With Goat Cheese & Olives
23. Superiority Burger's BBQ Baked Gigante Beans With Polenta & Coleslaw
24. Grilled Foil-Pack Chicken Nachos
25. Grilled Chicken Caesar Lettuce Wraps
26. Smoked Potato Salad
27. Grilled Strawberries Romanoff
28. Grilled Banana with Chocolate and Crushed Peanut Brittle
Any Night Grilling is your guide to becoming a charcoal champion (or getting in your grill-pan groove), any night of the week. With over 60 ways to fire up dinner—no long marinades or low-and-slow cook times in sight—this book is your go-to for freshly grilled meals in a flash.Order Now